Hello it's me again. To answer recent concerns regarding pirate verification, security of user management and the website itself a quick explanation:
The website itself:
- Is hosted by https://www.cloudaccess.net/ - More information about the security of this platform can be found here
- Uses an encrypted connection provided by https://ssl.comodo.com/ for data exchange between you and the server - Note https:// and the green lock top left next to the url https://themidnightsociety.org in your browser
- For my security, the Domain https://themidnightsociery.org has advanced privacy settings. My Name as publisher cannot be accessed through WHOIS Lookups. It is registered on my real name and address though
- Server backups are processed manually by me
The User Management of the website:
- Is stand-alone and absolutely independent of the ingame hierarchy - This means for example, ingame FO's and SO's are still only considered "Registered" on the website until promoted by a "Crewadmin" of the website
- Yet, "Crewadmins" are only determined by Sloopdog but can be voted for later on. In case most of the present "Crewadmins" vote yes, they will be promoted. This feature helps to continue running the page in case Sloopdog should mystically dissappear
- The "Rank" Information in the pirate profile is not related to permission levels and has solely purpose of showing pirate information
- More information about permission levels
- "Registered" Users cannot place or change any content on the website except certain forums and do not require any verification except an e-mail adress to be able to reset their password
- "Registered" users that want to become an "Author" must be verifyed through ingame chat. Multiple ways to achieve this. Harm or inappropriate content will be tracked and punished. We do not promote without a petition. It's their interest to add their own offers to the marketplace or write a guide
Remember that it's always good to let me know when you worry about a security issue. Viruses and Hackers wouldn't exist if there weren't any flaws. The page will be tested intensively on possible security holes before the definite release to publicity.
Consider this website uninteresting for potential evildoers. No Currency is stored or saved. No real names are required except the e-mail adress. The only trouble I can see is having spammers, advertisement or inappropriate content published by "Registered" Users. But that's something every Website in the Internet has to deal with.
This is not a final version and will be updated sometimes.